What can I do with a Sierra Wireless EM5625 modem?

Post all general Toughbook related things here.
ToughNut

What can I do with a Sierra Wireless EM5625 modem?

#1 Post by ToughNut »

Hi all,
As per title. This modem is listed in the CF-18's device manager and would like to know if it can be modded into something useful or replaced with something practical. I've not started to open the 18, so is this modem accessible from under the keyboard or base plate? Many TIAs for any suggestions.
Ron in SG

nine

Re: What can I do with a Sierra Wireless EM5625 modem?

#2 Post by nine »

The 5625 is an EV-DO (CDMA) modem. I assume you have one of the Australian CF-18's, as this was in a bunch of them. From a quick Google search, it doesn't look like there are any CDMA providers in Singapore, so your probably out of luck. IMHO, the best thing to do is to replace it with a GPS module from customtoughbooks.com.

The modem is on a daughter card easily accessable when removing the bottom cover.

nine
nine

Toughbooks, I have a few :)

ToughNut

Re: What can I do with a Sierra Wireless EM5625 modem?

#3 Post by ToughNut »

Yeah, it's an Aussie 18 and since I have no use for it... anyone interested? As for the GPS module, how's the feedback so far? (no, I've not done much reading on that) but I'm quite satisfied with a Holux GPSmile 62 when I'm riding. It's connected to a external battery pack (because I've not figured out how to hook it up to the bike's battery)

Return to “General Toughbook Talk”