CF-20 vs CF-33 VS CF-19 for PicoScope usage?

Post all general Toughbook related things here.
thewanderlustking

CF-20 vs CF-33 VS CF-19 for PicoScope usage?

#1 Post by thewanderlustking »

I am trying out a PicoScope this week to possibly replace my Hantek with. It is well worth the upgrade, but can I justify doing it? Not sure yet, but this isn't really about that. If I do pull the trigger, I want to upgrade the laptop being used too. I have mostly used my CF-19 (I don't remember what MK it is right now, I want to say it is a MK7 though, maybe? Lol...). I also have the CF-31 and my favorite the Getac B300. These last two have the better screens, but are really bulky for automotive/garage usage.

For this application though, a CF-20 or a CF-33 might actually be justifiable due to the detachable "tablet" functionality.

The CF-20 prices on eBay are cheap enough that getting one to use just for this won't hurt the pocket any. But the CF-20 specs seem to point more towards it being a toy or a glorified tablet, more than an actual laptop. No chance it will really be usable for anything outside of that one purpose, and I probably need to make sure it can even do that well... The CF-33 looks more promising. The ones at the bottom end aren't much more expensive than the CF-20. But one nice enough for me to be happy with is outside of that "amusement" price and getting closer to the "needing to find other justifications" for it price. Above the $300 point, it has to do more. I am seeing some at the $350 price point that I might seriously consider.

I don't think I would pull the trigger on an i7 CF-33, until they dropped below $1k. If I knew I would enjoy using it as a daily and it could replace my MacBook, then the current low end price of $1300-1400 is almost justifiable. But then my daily is a 2012 13" MacBook that is STILL in perfect working condition and I could probably replace it for under $200. I actually have a much newer 15" that almost never gets turned on, and it is a nicer machine (just needs a battery). My 13" is getting pretty worn out though...
CF-3110778CM, CF-19ADUU51M

Rich

Re: CF-20 vs CF-33 VS CF-19 for PicoScope usage?

#2 Post by Rich »

I have a CF-20 I use daily (nothing very demanding, Marine diagnostic software) and I really like it for its light weight (I have a cf-19 mk8), I like the better screen resolution, I think I like the keyboard better. I've been thinking about getting a CF-33 (have my eye on one that is on eBay for about $480) because of the possible issues of main board failures on CF-20s. Although I also have a FZ-G1 with the Ikey keyboard that I also really like. The keyboard isn't great, but i don't have to do any excessive typing.
We get some rules to follow.
That and this, these and those

CF-20 Mk1, CF-31 Mk5 i7, CF-31 Mk6 i7, FZ-G1 Mk2, CF-54 Mk2, CF-29 Mk5, CF-74J,
Star Labs Star Lite Mk3, Star Labs Labtop Mk3, Raspberry Pi 4b 8gb, Raspberry Pi-400, Raspberry Zero W(running piaware), Raspberry Pi 2

KarlKlammer2

#3 Post by KarlKlammer2 »

cf19mk6 is the fastest of the 19s and also faster than the 20. cf33 is faster than both. (measured in cpu speed)
cf19mk3(4gb,512gb,wwan)@Ubuntu
cf19mk6(16gb,512gb,wwan,gps)@OpenBSD (lost on train)
tabactive2(4gb,256gb)@Android
t420(16gb,256gb)@OpenBSD
cf54mk2(16gb,512gb,fhd)@Windows+dock+EliteDisplay24"+MxKeysS+MxAnywhere2

thewanderlustking

#4 Post by thewanderlustking »

If you go by CPU speed alone, then the CF-19 MK7 and MK8 beat out the MK6 slightly. But no matter as I just powered it up and have a MK5 anyways. For some reason it only has 4gb memory though. Crap, it has the 338 camera module so the motheboard only has the one memory slot. It is on W7. Whatever, it is still a perfect laptop for tuning with. While an MK6-8 would be a pretty significant upgrade, it isn't really needed or justifiable if I am just using it for tuning. I might actually have a MK6 or MK7 kicking about in my parts piles though.

CPU speed is one thing, but more memory seems to make a much bigger difference to me the way I use them. Unfortunately the CF-20 and CF-33's in my happy range are all 8gb models. Still this CF-20 seems pretty decent.

Oh yeah, I grabbed a CF-20 lol! It arrived yesterday and I have been putting it through its paces and setting it up. The keyboard actually feels pretty decent. It has slightly more pressure and a touch less tactile click than my MacBook. But the travel is the same and it is the best Toughbook keyboard so far. I am not dropping letters typing.

I think for a basic laptop to have at work and for using with the Pico, it is close to perfect. For a daily driver laptop, it is hitting pretty good so far. But the screen is just a tad bit too small for my eyes. I am SUPER tempted to grab a CF-33 also...

thewanderlustking

#5 Post by thewanderlustking »

Mmmm.... The seller I got my CF-20 from has some super nice CF-33's also. I have almost pulled the trigger a couple times now on one. He is actually selling squeaky clean ones with the red backlighted keyboard for $400! Still at this point it is probably "just a toy" and I haven't justified it enough to pull the trigger all the way.

The CF-33 also has a possible disadvantage. Both batteries are in the screen/tablet portion. The CF-20 here is a touch top heavy when using it with the keyboard and sitting it on my lap. It is manageable and not too horribly distracting, but the CF-33 looks like it would be worse. Since the 33 is more of a toy than a tool. comfort of use gets more priority. If I am buying it, I am wanting something that gets picked up more often...

The multi-touch and ability to zoom quickly is a game changer on the CF-20 (the CF-33 obviously has this also). It takes away some of the urgency for a larger screen. A few more days with it and I might not even care. Still 12" is 2" bigger and almost the size of my 13" MacBook I daily...

I have a few other rabbit holes I am exploring right now on the CF-20, but I will post up a dedicated thread for that if I can't find what I am after.

KarlKlammer2

#6 Post by KarlKlammer2 »

a cf19mk6 might have less GHz than a mk7 or mk8, but it will sustain this turbo speed longer, so the cpu benchmarks will be higher

btw, I made this picture comparing 19mk6 20mk1 and 33mk1 back when cf20 was released. didn't like the cf33 fan at the time
viewtopic.php?p=28079#p28079
cffffuuuuuu2.png
cffffuuuuuu2.png (278.08 KiB) Viewed 1770 times
cf19mk3(4gb,512gb,wwan)@Ubuntu
cf19mk6(16gb,512gb,wwan,gps)@OpenBSD (lost on train)
tabactive2(4gb,256gb)@Android
t420(16gb,256gb)@OpenBSD
cf54mk2(16gb,512gb,fhd)@Windows+dock+EliteDisplay24"+MxKeysS+MxAnywhere2

thewanderlustking

#7 Post by thewanderlustking »

Well at this point I have the CF-19 MK5 and a CF-20. Sure the 20 may be slower, especially if I bumped up one generation on the CF-19. BUT I’m barely using my CF-19 as is. I kept the Cf-19 for tuning in smaller tight cars like this Miata I’m currently working on. But the CF-20 seriously outshines the Cf-19 in actual use. I have not put my tuning software on the CF-20 yet, but I was using it under the dash today in tablet mode and it was absolutely AWESOME! Like game changer!

At this point I am pretty well setup. I can grab a dock or two for the CR-30. One for my diagnostics cart, one for the house or maybe the truck.

Or I can grab a Cf-33…: As t this point I’m not sure the CF-33 would replace/upgrade anything I’m using enough to justify the additional expenditure.

I need to explore one more thing on the CF-20 and CF-33. If they have MPP, or if it can be installed, then grabbing the CF-33 actually makes sense.

thewanderlustking

#8 Post by thewanderlustking »

Oh and one more thought. My CF-19 runs W7. It is WAY less distracting than W10, and it is all I really need when just tuning. I have slowly been tweaking W10 to be less so, but W7 still has a nice place in my use scenarios.

thewanderlustking

#9 Post by thewanderlustking »

I am SERIOUSLY LOVING this CF-20! Complaints…. The only one so far is it oddly doesn’t seem to charge the base battery when plugged into the upper port. It does charge both when plugged into the bottom outlet. No
Other issues to complain about. Well maybe one more, the CF-20 digitizer pen isn’t nearly as nice as the CF-33 one.

I’m using it a lot more than I usually use my other Windows machines. If it had W11 so it could include text and messaging….

I really want a CF-33 now…. The current prices are pretty high for a clean machine fully speced the way I want. No lo

Return to “General Toughbook Talk”