I need a new(er) fast(er) CF-19, MK5 vs MK6???

Post all general Toughbook related things here.
thewanderlustking

I need a new(er) fast(er) CF-19, MK5 vs MK6???

#1 Post by thewanderlustking »

Hello everyone! This will be my first post here. Coming over from the Notebook Review forum, there are a lot of familiar names here!!!

My custom orange CF-19 "may" be on its last legs... I had an incident a couple months ago with it. The exact specifics and details escape me now, but it wouldn't fully boot into windows. Indicating damage to core windows files. Somehow, I finally got it booted up without even using a windows repair via install cd/dvd. I suspect its days are numbered though... At the very least, it needs a major overhaul. Most of my complaints about it, can be fixed by upgrading to a newer model.

I currently have a CF-30K3PAXAM and the CF-19C6GAXVM. The CF-19 is just SLOW online. The CF-30 is better, but still nothing like my old MacBook. I am after something that will get me closer to the performance of my Mac, yet have the durability of a Toughbook.

My Mac is a 2.5 GHz i5 with 16 GB memory. So, I am looking for similar or maybe even better specs in a Toughbook.

I had started writing this with a choice mostly between the CF-19 and a CF-31, with room for other options. So I wrote out a pretty extensive list of wants and needs, and I think the CF-19 is likely the best fit for me. And in my hours spent staring at various Toughbooks today, I stumbled across a fingerprint reader on eBay I snatched up (for the CF-19).

So the plan will be a newer CF-19.

What am I considering? It is mostly a showdown between the MK5, and the MK6.

The MK5 CF-19 can be had with some good savings, enough difference to offset the cost of a chiclet keyboard. And oddly, its processor actually gets better benchmarks overall. Other than processor, are there any other internal upgrades to tip the scales in favor of the MK6?
Last edited by thewanderlustking on Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CF-3110778CM, CF-19ADUU51M

Karl Klammer

Re: I need a new(er) fast(er CF-19, MK5 vs MK6???

#2 Post by Karl Klammer »

mk6 features an ambient light sensor, but also has a sata2 throttle...while mk5 can do sata3 afaik
both should have 10.1 screens, N wlan, tpm 1.2
mk6 has bluetooth 4 (powersave,security) while mk5 has bluetooth 2.1
mk5 is rated at 9hrs runtime, while mk6 is at 10
mk5 has usb 2, mk6 usb 3

I'd say mk5 for disk/cpu performance, mk6 for battery life and faster usb/bluetooth

Shawn

#3 Post by Shawn »

I have CF19mk6 and a CF31mk2 // mk3 I can sell.
Life will beat you into submission.

Rob
Toughbooktalk Founder

#4 Post by Rob »

I will soon have an MK7 dual touch CF-19 to sell once I get my CF-33 to replace it! :)
~Rob - Vice President - Rugged Depot~
~Cell: (630)/300-8877~
~Owner - Toughbooktalk~
~Fully rugged Toughbook user since April 18th 2005~
~FZ-40ACAAHKM - Primary Toughbook / Workstation as of 7/29/22
~Win10 Pro (Win11 DG), Intel Core i5-1145G7 (up to 4.4GHz), vPro, 14.0" FHD Gloved Multi Touch, 16GB, 1TB Samsung SSD, Intel Wi-Fi 6, Bluetooth, 4G EM7690, GPS, Quad Pass (BIOS Selectable), Mic and Infrared 5MP Webcam, Standard Battery, TPM 2.0, Emissive Backlit Keyboard, Dual Batteries, USB A + HDMI + Serial X-PAK, Shoulder Strap, Flat~
~AT&T Business 1GB Fiber 1GB/1GB business static line~
~Gamber & Johnson Platinum Partner~

http://www.toughbooktalk.com
http://downloads.toughbooktalk.com/
http://www.rugged575.com - 300' UHF GMRS Radio Repeater
http://www.crete600.com - 310' UHF Linked GMRS Radio Repeater

~Emergency preparedness starts with reliable communication systems above all. Pretend the internet and cell phones didn’t exist, how will you communicate? If you’re interested in learning more, ask me!~

thewanderlustking

#5 Post by thewanderlustking »

Karl Klammer wrote:mk6 features an ambient light sensor, but also has a sata2 throttle...while mk5 can do sata3 afaik
both should have 10.1 screens, N wlan, tpm 1.2
mk6 has bluetooth 4 (powersave,security) while mk5 has bluetooth 2.1
mk5 is rated at 9hrs runtime, while mk6 is at 10
mk5 has usb 2, mk6 usb 3

I'd say mk5 for disk/cpu performance, mk6 for battery life and faster usb/bluetooth
I had seen the ambient sensor (although no idea what real world advantage that would make that hitting a button doesn't accomplish...), but was wondering why the performance specs of the MK6 were hitting slightly lower, VERY good explanation thank you!
Shawn wrote:I have CF19mk6 and a CF31mk2 // mk3 I can sell.
Hello Shawn! The CF-31 isn't completely out of the running... But I do have more upgrade parts for my CF-19, and it is the one I REALLY need to replace. I think the keyboard on the CF-30/CF-31 is better suited for lots of writing. But for travel or sitting on my toolbox at work, the CF-19 has the edge.

Still... If I don't end up replacing my current CF-19, it will need some repairs and upgrades. At minimum a new SSD or hybrid drive. I would like to get more usable memory into it too. But installing 64bit W7 just to bump it to 4gb memory isn't worth it. 8gb would be though...
Rob wrote:I will soon have an MK7 dual touch CF-19 to sell once I get my CF-33 to replace it! :)
Shawn, Rob, can you guys PM me with prices and additional specs for the above machines? And let me know what keyboards are installed? On the CF-19 I really want the emissive keyboard. I have a CF-30 emissive (I think it slots right into the 31.)

Budget is a "slight" consideration. I can grad a MK5 CF-19 off eBay for just above nothing. $300 give or take $100 gets one to my door. And $50-100 more gets me a MK6. The MK7 prices on eBay are a little more than I want to spend, but likely not too much more than I will end up spending.

I am after a few features on this build:

1) Simplicity. I hate making windows work on a machine that doesn't have a factory recovery image available. On all my past machines I have fought to get Panny drivers playing nicely with W7. So this time getting a machine that came with W7 is a requirement. I need to be able to do a fresh Windows install and get it back online in a few hours.

2) W7 64bit, I want to be able to use 8gb memory minimum. And Crucial actually has 16gb memory pack available for it. THIS would be a deciding factor. If Panasonic's bios on the MK5 doesn't see/allow 16gb memory, but the MK6 or MK7 one does... I will go with what allows that. Even if it meant shelling out almost double for the MK7. But, still want W7...

3) SSD drive upgrade. Don't really "need" more than 128gig, but a hybrid high capacity drive might be nice.

4) I will add in some other features like GPS (already have options there), fingerprint scanner (on the way for a CF-19). And likely a hidden boot drive.

My current CF-19 has a hidden usb drive attached to the USB input on the WWAN card. In "theory" I could boot up on it into linux, but never got it fully working. When I turn the WWAN card off in bios, it doesn't show up.

Shawn

#6 Post by Shawn »

I will pm you later tonight when I get off work
Life will beat you into submission.

Karl Klammer

#7 Post by Karl Klammer »

regarding suggested performance drop:

well, the mk6s passmark score is actually higher than that of mk5 -- better gpu/cpu over long term, mk5 turbo mode is not sustainable
so, your personal performance rating depends on your usecase:
short-term cpu bursts: mk5 (startup time for apps)
disk io short/longterm: mk5 (startup time for apps, open/save files)
longterm graphics/cpu performance: mk6 (games,video encoding,full disk encryption)

the sata throttle seems to be there for heat related reasons, as in allow the cpu to cool down for a few cycles while waiting for IO...
so I can only guess that mk6 regained the throttle to prevent issues during some desert storm like situations ...
I owned a thinkpad x230t with the same i5-3320m cpu as featured on mk6 ... and boy, the fans sure worked a lot!

thewanderlustking

#8 Post by thewanderlustking »

I would be using it mostly for browsing. Problem is my mac has me spoiled and it is common to have multiple pages with multiple tabs.

Then I might use it for my photography. Unlikely to do enough, or any, video editing to make that a big concern. Really I just need a decent processor, a TON of memory, and fast boot and app startup times. If I end up using it for photography, I will need storage space. This could be internal. or external. If external space is used, then it pushes me towards the MK6. Internal would push me a little towards the MK5.

Finally, I want a machine that is comfortable to write on.

If it weren't for wanting durability and a computer that can stand up to automotive shop use, I would just get another Mac. There might not be a "one machine fits all" scenario here. And if not, then lowest cost becomes the deciding factor. I can afford that luxury if I get a MK5 for under $300.

I have used Toughbooks for over 15yrs now. But in the last 6 or so, a Mac has become my primary go to computer for day to day use. Actually, they have proven to be almost as durable if treated with care. I am only on my second mac, and that is only because my first was stolen... Oddly Toughbooks seem to be too high profile, and even though I am not as careful with them, I have never had one get stolen. But, I have worn out, broken, or otherwise outlived PLENTY of Toughbooks. I have gone through at least 7 in daily use, and purchased and sold at least a couple dozen more. Toughbooks seem to last me 2-3yrs before I either get bored with them, or have to replace for other reasons.

I shoot and work almost exclusively with Panasonic Lumix cameras. They build the Toughbook quality into their cameras too. In fact it was the combination of my love for classic Leica cameras, and Toughbooks that drove me towards purchasing my first micro 4/3rds Lumix camera. And just like Toughbooks, once they are a year or two out, they become almost affordable. :rofl:

User32

#9 Post by User32 »

thewanderlustking wrote:tl;dr
Get a Mk6 and be done with it. They are so cheap compared to last year.

Rob
Toughbooktalk Founder

#10 Post by Rob »

Yes, but if you want to use Windows 10, an MK6 is useless because it doesn't have MULTI-touch. If you want multi-touch for pinch/zoom, etc etc you *NEED* and MK7 or MK8 with a digitizer at that!

Thanks!
~Rob - Vice President - Rugged Depot~
~Cell: (630)/300-8877~
~Owner - Toughbooktalk~
~Fully rugged Toughbook user since April 18th 2005~
~FZ-40ACAAHKM - Primary Toughbook / Workstation as of 7/29/22
~Win10 Pro (Win11 DG), Intel Core i5-1145G7 (up to 4.4GHz), vPro, 14.0" FHD Gloved Multi Touch, 16GB, 1TB Samsung SSD, Intel Wi-Fi 6, Bluetooth, 4G EM7690, GPS, Quad Pass (BIOS Selectable), Mic and Infrared 5MP Webcam, Standard Battery, TPM 2.0, Emissive Backlit Keyboard, Dual Batteries, USB A + HDMI + Serial X-PAK, Shoulder Strap, Flat~
~AT&T Business 1GB Fiber 1GB/1GB business static line~
~Gamber & Johnson Platinum Partner~

http://www.toughbooktalk.com
http://downloads.toughbooktalk.com/
http://www.rugged575.com - 300' UHF GMRS Radio Repeater
http://www.crete600.com - 310' UHF Linked GMRS Radio Repeater

~Emergency preparedness starts with reliable communication systems above all. Pretend the internet and cell phones didn’t exist, how will you communicate? If you’re interested in learning more, ask me!~

Return to “General Toughbook Talk”