I need a new(er) fast(er) CF-19, MK5 vs MK6???

Post all general Toughbook related things here.
thewanderlustking

Re: I need a new(er) fast(er) CF-19, MK5 vs MK6???

#21 Post by thewanderlustking »

Thanks bunches guys! I already got it!!! I started a thread on the "build" over here: I know the consensus was leaning towards the MK6, but for the price I paid for it, I am pretty happy and already put in an offer for another one. Your explanations of the differences REALLY helped me decide too.

I think the MK5 will work just as well for my needs as the MK6 would, and at a MUCH MUCH lower price. That savings will let me put more money into these where I want to spend it. Like banging in 16gb memory.

MILDLY annoyed though. The listing claimed a battery and power adapter were included. They weren't. Neither was the HDD caddy (but that was expected). Not a deal breaker, but hey, the listing says what it says.

Still as we likely all know, the generic power adapters are a VERY BAD IDEA. If you don't know, they are much more poorly built and arc when connected to the power plug. I went through 2 plug jacks and power bricks before getting a genuine Panny one. The IBM adapters are safe too. Since using those, haven't lost a single jack.

Not sure who suggested this, but one of the long timers over at NBR suggested an inline switch. I ordered a couple then and that has also helped. I have almost worn one out already.
CF-3110778CM, CF-19ADUU51M

Karl Klammer

#22 Post by Karl Klammer »

please elaborate on the inline switch.
just some circuit breaker switch you solder into the cable? or something fancy/automatic?

Shawn

#23 Post by Shawn »

On my main 8amp brick I replaced the output cable with one that had a built in switch. Ebay was my source.
Manually operated.
Life will beat you into submission.

thewanderlustking

Re: I need a new(er) fast(er CF-19, MK5 vs MK6???

#24 Post by thewanderlustking »

Rob wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:53 pm Yes, but if you want to use Windows 10, an MK6 is useless because it doesn't have MULTI-touch. If you want multi-touch for pinch/zoom, etc etc you *NEED* and MK7 or MK8 with a digitizer at that!

Thanks!
I am reading through my old threads here in 2022, and as usual contemplating "the next" upgrades... I had a MK6 for a while and several MK5s. Zero difference for what I use these for, tuning. Currently, I have a MK5. I have a working HDD/image that lets me swap and reactivate W7 easily. But W7 is obsolete and Microsoft has pulled all the .iso from their servers. It is getting difficult to get the correct images to get W7 working, without going to websites MUCH sketchier than even The Pirate Bay used to be. Or paying money for an install disc to find out it doesn't match just perfectly and won't accept your COA. Still, my current situation works pretty good and no reason to change it, until I read the above from Rob.

Pinch and zoom on a multitouch setup could actually be a game changer while tuning... There were multiple times in my last session where this would have been super useful to have. It is an interestign thought. Plus MK7 and MK8 units can be gotten pretty cheaply these days. A CF-20 or possibly even a CF-33. Price wise though a CF-20 is almost affordable, but at a major performance hit is seems over a CF-19. The CF-33 gets there, but at a higher buy in too. Since pretty much the only thing I would use one for would be tuning and maybe digital inspections at work... A CF-19 MK7 or MK* looks a lot more intriguing.

At work, our digital inspection platform comes in two flavors. The laptop/desktop version is web based. The IOS/Android version is app based. It is really obnoxious switching between them. Utilizing the app versions to document with pictures, and the computer version to actually type it all out and put in the information. I am not sure I can add pictures using the web based platform, but I am going to try and figure that out tomorrow. My current CF-19 has a bottom camera I could possibly utilize for this. If so, it might end up being a permanent work laptop. I suspect the camera quality won't be up to task though...

Anyways, mostly just a thought exercise.

Michael AU

#25 Post by Michael AU »

Windows 7 is still usable, I have it on a 29, another option is CrossOver (which is a very refined WINE) in Debian which I run alot of tuning (cars) software on.
CF-29 x 3 (Debian (Rugged) 11, FreeDOS 1.2, Windows 7)
CF-30 (Debian 11, Windows 10)
CF-31SBLAX1M (Debian 11, Windows 10)
CF-D1 (Debian 11, Windows 10, trying BlissOS)
Never give up, never surrender!

thewanderlustking

#26 Post by thewanderlustking »

W7 is still awesome for SURE! And I have a couple random machines with it running nicely on. Unfortunately, my images for W7 that are the right ones to utilize and actually activate with the COA on Toughbooks, are corrupted. With all the Windows 7 .iso pulled off Microsoft's servers, free and SAFE options for W7 are getting hard to find.

Windows 7 is more than still usable, it is IDEAL for a minimal tuning environment! You don't want to boot up ready to connect to a car, and need to install massive amounts of updates. Or be bombarded with "Today in the news" and "Bing recommends" that you suck it... I am SURE there are ways of turning 90% or more of this crap off in W10. I just haven't gotten there yet. And most of the time if I have a computer on for entertainment, it is my MacBook here.

I have been poking about at different Linux varieties. I will have to try Debian and CrossOver! My primary tuning platform is Tuner Studio, and of course MegaLogViewer. So both are actually pretty stable in Linux. There are a few other support programs where I would need Windows though.

I am actually thinking about how the dual touch on a MK7 or MK8 running on a Windows 10 OS could actually be a benefit during tuning sessions... It could be just another excuse to buy more laptops I really don't NEED, or it could actualy be pretty awesome to utilize on the smaller CF-19 monitor. I am not sure. The buy in for them now isn't too bad, especially since I have spare batteries and caddies. My Toughbook collection is getting a bit silly again though... I have (in theory) my old MK1 CF-19, the MK5 CF-19, 2x MK7 CF-M34, and I just bought a Getac B300G5. Although that one only "sorta" counts.

Anyways today in 2022, the thought to ponder is if I bother grabbing a MK8, vs just the MK5. My tuning laptops do actualy get lent out sometimes. I can kinda justify a second more capable CF-19.

Well Michael what do you think? Would dual touch pinch/zoom actualy be useful to have while tuning???

Michael AU

#27 Post by Michael AU »

Look up Windows 10 Debloat script to cleanup all the MS rubbish.

I really appreciate TunerStudio and MegaLogViewer having native Linux versions.

Here's a screenshot of my CrossOver menu so you can get a general idea of what I have installed. I'll post up a complete list later today.
Screenshot at 2022-05-04 07-02-25.png
Screenshot at 2022-05-04 07-02-25.png (202.79 KiB) Viewed 4208 times
Would dual touch etc be useful while tuning, yes and no. Yes if you are a capable tuner who doesn't get distracted or has fumble finger. No if you get distracted and have fumble fingers. It's horses for courses really, use the tools the laptop has if you are proficient with them. If they speed up your workflow and accuracy great if not then they aren't useful.

Michael AU

#28 Post by Michael AU »

Just as a bit more information on Crossover it won't install programs that require Windows Installer 5. Previous versions of Windows Installer are fine but 5 just won't work because MS never made it available as a redistributable. Anyway the tuning programs I have installed are.

Adaptronic - Eugene, Sekkuku, WARI.
C&D Flow Calculator (for flow benches).
EFILive - 7.5 & 8.
Haltech - Datalog Viewer, ECU Manager, ESP, ICC.
HPTuners - Editor & Scanner.
Innovate Motorsport - LM Programmer & LogWorks 3.
NisTune
Performance Trends - Cam Analyzer, Compression Ratio Analyzer, Engine Analyzer, Engine Build Log.
Race Render - Log Viewer & Race Render 3.
Romano - Risn (LPG).
TunerPro RT
WinOls Test Version.

If you do try this ou and have difficulty installing anything let me know and I'll help where I can.

thewanderlustking

#29 Post by thewanderlustking »

thewanderlustking wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:58 pm Well I think I just found the perfect Toughbook for me! A shiny new CF-20, with a shiny new Panasonic price tag to match... I am blown away by its thinness and light weight. But I will wait likely until the first batch comes off lease....
Hehehe, I got one and I absolutely LOVE my CF-20!

I am trying to decide what to do with my MK5 though. It is a CF-19AMUAV1M with the camera module and only has 4gb memory. Removing the module is simple enough, but there isn't a second memory stick connector It is on W7 64 bit, so it can use more memory. At least I think I can upgrade the one stick to 8gb. That might be enough for it. I am not sure it is worth much more effort than this.

To go any further would require either finding and soldering another memory connector to the board, or replacing he mainboard.

Return to “General Toughbook Talk”