Windows 10 is now an automadic update?

Post all general Toughbook related things here.
Bill_TN

Re: Windows 10 is now an automadic update?

#11 Post by Bill_TN »

I always do my linux partition in ext and then do the windows install first to the smaller partition. Following with the linux install. Not had any issues yet. Have even altered the grub menu to change what order the selection is in. Makes me have to choose windohs to access it.
CF-29ET, CF-28ST, CF-30G , CF-M34, CF-19Ch, CF-19FH, CF-19CD, CF-73 mk1, CF-74K & H, CF-51RCB, CF-51RCL, CF-52CC .

As long as the deal is good for you it is good for me.

Member of Toughbooktalk and Notebook Review forums

SHEEPMAN!

#12 Post by SHEEPMAN! »

The problem is...if you are running a Windows Update it will sometimes shut-down and re-boot. If you are in the back room or something (unattended install) you MAY get blue/black screens and a menu not found.

I can't say exactly because I let Linux do the install and fumble through any questions. That is the way I started and I am used to it.

Personally I want a grub based menu not a Windows one. :D

Thanks,

Jeff...

My apologies for getting off topic. The punch-line is the Windows 7 side of the CF-53 will never see automatic updates again.....except for a Very Very good reason. It may not even see the internet. J
Fair for you/ Fair for me.
I chose to NOT be organized.

-------------------------------------------------------------------[/color]
http://toughbooktalk.com/
http://forum.notebookreview.com/panasonic/

dryster

#13 Post by dryster »

I installed Windows 10 on my Dell laptop, and it appeared ok and stable until the first Tuesday update and then it broke itself. That is just unacceptable.

I am concerned that Microsoft will increase the intensity of the shoehorning especially as Windows 7 mainstream support ended over a year ago and extended support is slated for January 2020.

I was searching yesterday for the official Microsoft links for the XP SP3 standalone for my CF-30, something I could have found in a few minutes a year or so ago. Microsoft have removed all their links. I did find a copy with a correct checksum from a none Microsoft source, and then of course, found my own copy in a directory. The point is, Microsoft are aggressive in not only stopping support, but also removing "legacy" support from our clutches and I expect they will do the same with the trustworthy Windows 7.
CF-30C with standard keyboard and Windows XP.
CF-30K x 2, both running Windows 7.
CF-19F. Windows 7.
It's difficult not to collect these things.

Shawn

#14 Post by Shawn »

Last edited by Shawn on Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life will beat you into submission.

SHEEPMAN!

#15 Post by SHEEPMAN! »

I see you have a couple CF-30MK1. Do you have some model numbers for us? I like Mark 1's, tough, rugged and simple.

I strongly recommend that you put MX-15 Linux on one for additional giggles. :) W7 is doable but a bit of a bear to get installed sometimes. XP with updates shut off is an option.

In the event that you must have W7 on the MK1's we need to talk...as there is a quirk with the bios on the MK1 where it doesn't have Tablet/Touch in the bios so flashing bios is necessary if you have an XP bios. W7 insists on it being a tablet.

Welcome...Dell or not. :D
Fair for you/ Fair for me.
I chose to NOT be organized.

-------------------------------------------------------------------[/color]
http://toughbooktalk.com/
http://forum.notebookreview.com/panasonic/

dryster

#16 Post by dryster »

Hi Sadlmkr, first Mk1 is a CF-30CTQAZBM, with non-working TS. Original KB, All port covers, filler blocks, CDRWDVD, 2GB. It came with a 100GB with XP. In Canadian dollars it cost me around $135 which is US$100 (and included an after market PS) - the second is a CF-30CBPAZBM has a little more wear, Chiclet KB, always non-TS, no CDRWDVD, 1GB, no fillers, no HD and was C$90 and I bought a couple of 80GB with caddy for C$94. So, averaging out, they have both cost me around C$135 or US$100 including shipping. I do a bit of DJ work and a CF-30 with XP, updates off, running MusicBee is almost a perfect gig machine.
CF-19F. Windows 7.

dryster

#17 Post by dryster »

There are ways to remove the Windows 10 spamware, I've had relative peace on my main laptop since removing a couple of "updates" and preventing them from reinstalling. On another machine, without my intervention, Windows 10 reminds me almost on a daily basis that I should "upgrade"
CF-19F. Windows 7.

RDClaes

#18 Post by RDClaes »

The GWX control panel is a quick, easy, free program you can download. You can disable the automatic Win 10 update and remove the Win 10 nagware icon.

http://ultimateoutsider.com/downloads/

I've used it on several machines and it's great!
-Claes

There can only be one!

Bill_TN

#19 Post by Bill_TN »

I intentionally went 10 on one of my machines. A desk top unit. All of a sudden I was getting spam pop ups alot. I requested assistance and they told me to give them access to the machine. I told them to just share with me where they hid my virus and mal ware programs. They insisted to allow them to fix it. I told them to get bent and I'm going to linux. That hdd is sitting on a shelf and running the Mint hdd in the tower now. Switching to my W7 hdd just to keep it "up-dated". I hate Micro soft.
CF-29ET, CF-28ST, CF-30G , CF-M34, CF-19Ch, CF-19FH, CF-19CD, CF-73 mk1, CF-74K & H, CF-51RCB, CF-51RCL, CF-52CC .

As long as the deal is good for you it is good for me.

Member of Toughbooktalk and Notebook Review forums

ADOR

#20 Post by ADOR »

I am thinking of giving it a try this time home, it won't be "stock" though. Lot of trimming of the fat on the list with auto updates the first on my hit list.
CF-28 MK2,Mk3 / CF-29 Mk3 / CF-30 MK2 / CF-25 Mk1 ATI / CF-19 MK3/Mk3/Mk5 / CF-U1 Mk1,Mk2 / CF-M34 Mk7/Mk3 / CF-17 Mk1 / CF-07
Voodoo Envy M355 / M360 / M515 / M780 / U703 / Voodoo Hexx / Voodoo Idol / Voodoo Rage F1 / Voodoo Rage F1 / Voodoo Rage F1 "signed case" / Voodoo Omen
Alienware M11x R1, Alienware 17 R5

Return to “General Toughbook Talk”