New user

Post all general Toughbook related things here.
TowerClimb-11FN

New user

#1 Post by TowerClimb-11FN »

Warning, im kinda long winded :P :read:

Anyways, hello all! Name is Shawn. Just bought my very first ToughBook a few weeks back (info below) Had the bells and whistles come with it. Ive never really imagined owning one but a few things turned me on.

First off as my name username implies, im an amateur tower climber. Its not my profession but I previously worked in the natural gas drilling theater and got my training for climbing drilling rigs and just figured towers are not much different, just skinnier. The towers I usually climb have amateur radio equipment on them and I climb for free for ham clubs. I am an amateur radio operator, or as some call us, a ham. Thats where me deciding owning a ToughBook came to play. Needed something durable to take to these remote sites. I love being able to access the internet via WWAN (Gobi 1000) in the middle of nowhere. Also a big plus is ToughBooks come with a serial port. Where can you find a modern laptop with a serial pot now a days huh. Im not sure why, but radios, even new radios, still use serial ports to program. Before my TB, used to lug a desktop around, this is WAY better. Im just now starting to see USB programming cables but its usually a premium upgrade. GPS is also a plus as I run some location based beaconing known as APRS, so it saves having external peripherals. Everything else on the laptop, like the Bluetooth and touch screen was just a plus.

So far im in love with my TB. It seem to fit the niche i needed. I just hope this beast isnt too hard to maintain as some of the things i have read were kinda frightening. Makes me feel better though knowing this forum is here to help if I run into trouble. If theirs anything I can help out with on my end just let me know!
CF30 MK3 KQC55AM
Bios- V3.0L20
EC- V3.0L13
Windows 7
Gobi 1000, FP reader, OEM GPS added
4GB RAM, 250GB SSD

Shawn

Re: New user

#2 Post by Shawn »

Hello.
Life will beat you into submission.

Bill_TN

#3 Post by Bill_TN »

Welcome to the asylum. These are a great bunch of inmates here. I'll also aim you at the notebook review forum. The toughbook part. There is alot of good info here and there to be found. Just try to remember if the old timers here recommend you try something in a certain way, they usually know what they are doing. They are also a great way to track down the obscure parts, ect. that you might be looking for. At a damned decent price. :cheers:

Wow just remembered that I still have a shed full of old radio equipment that I keep planning to get rid of..........Crap. :pat:
CF-29ET, CF-28ST, CF-30G , CF-M34, CF-19Ch, CF-19FH, CF-19CD, CF-73 mk1, CF-74K & H, CF-51RCB, CF-51RCL, CF-52CC .

As long as the deal is good for you it is good for me.

Member of Toughbooktalk and Notebook Review forums

teo

#4 Post by teo »

To the OP, You have an interesting job. I am familiar with that type of job 14 years ago way back home. We do the construction of Cell tower( Mast, 3 legged and four legged tower) including Electrical transmission tower.

BILL.... is right! Your on the right place and welcome to the forum.

teo

ADOR

#5 Post by ADOR »

Welcome

The only thing I see missing from your specs is the second battery if you are in need of extra battery power where you are at.
CF-28 MK2,Mk3 / CF-29 Mk3 / CF-30 MK2 / CF-25 Mk1 ATI / CF-19 MK3/Mk3/Mk5 / CF-U1 Mk1,Mk2 / CF-M34 Mk7/Mk3 / CF-17 Mk1 / CF-07
Voodoo Envy M355 / M360 / M515 / M780 / U703 / Voodoo Hexx / Voodoo Idol / Voodoo Rage F1 / Voodoo Rage F1 / Voodoo Rage F1 "signed case" / Voodoo Omen
Alienware M11x R1, Alienware 17 R5

Shawn

#6 Post by Shawn »

Jeff should have a 2nd battery for a CF30

SHEEPMAN!

#7 Post by SHEEPMAN! »

Another Shawn :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

So it's Shawn the researcher and Shawn the tower guy. Welcome.

Do you have pictures of climbing with a desktop on your back? :D I program with a CF-27 pure DOS and CF-30 K for the mobiles and new portables. Just a handful for the Fire Dept. nothing serious.
Just yesterday I found a used untested media bay battery CF-VZSU1430, and a CF-VCB-371. These are OEM Panasonic. You would possibly need a second charger.
Why not a 12V Lind? This new in open box I have here is built for a dock. (I had it in the same stack w/above) Lind PA1220-3910. Guessing the output cable can be changed to fit the 371????) (DC IN 15.1V-15.6V==2.6A)

The Output on Mr. Lind is 12VDC 2.0A......Input Cigarette lighter plug and 12-16VDC 5 Amp Max.

Output of the VCB-371 is 2.5A to the battery which sounds suspiciously like the internal voltage of a Toughbook. I don't know but I am sure someone will correct me. :)

Welcome to the soiree.

Jeff...talking of long winded :pat: ...
Fair for you/ Fair for me.
I chose to NOT be organized.

-------------------------------------------------------------------[/color]
http://toughbooktalk.com/
http://forum.notebookreview.com/panasonic/

Shawn

#8 Post by Shawn »

umm Jeff?

Did you mean part of that for a different thread?

Bill_TN

#9 Post by Bill_TN »

Shoot Shawn I think I follow the notion. The Lind is for in the mobile between towers and jobs and extended time on site, also for the workbench in the back of the van/truck/ect? Something I wish I had access to back when I worked on radios. Would have been sweet to have a laptop with an O scope type of program. Even a decent freq counter. The quote was potentially to furnish a part number for a media bay battery?

And heaven help me if I am accurate with my Jeff thought process translation.
CF-29ET, CF-28ST, CF-30G , CF-M34, CF-19Ch, CF-19FH, CF-19CD, CF-73 mk1, CF-74K & H, CF-51RCB, CF-51RCL, CF-52CC .

As long as the deal is good for you it is good for me.

Member of Toughbooktalk and Notebook Review forums

SHEEPMAN!

#10 Post by SHEEPMAN! »

I don't think so.....What part?

I was expanding on the media bay (second) battery part and got carried away is all. BTW media bay batt is charging as we speak in my MK-30K.

You know me...tell me where I was stupid and I'll correct it.

Thanks,

Jeff...FINALLY a new lamb...MEANWHILE "MOBILE NETWORK NOT AVAILABLE ON MY STUPID PHONE...
Fair for you/ Fair for me.
I chose to NOT be organized.

-------------------------------------------------------------------[/color]
http://toughbooktalk.com/
http://forum.notebookreview.com/panasonic/

Return to “General Toughbook Talk”