Calling the nerds! USB ISO boot questions

Post all general Toughbook related things here.
RDClaes

Calling the nerds! USB ISO boot questions

#1 Post by RDClaes »

Good afternoon Gentlemen!

I'm trying to refine some of my processes down and I would like to use a USB flash drive to load the Panasonic ISO images into computer instead of burning them to DVD.

More specifically I find 99% of images made into dual layer disks do not burn correctly. I am trying to boot a 5.2GB file off of a USB drive. I downloaded the Windows USB tool, Rufus, and a couple others.

The Windows tool just stops at 99% and will not complete despite reformatting and other online fixes that worked for others.

Rufus successfully images the ISO on to the USB. Here's what happens.

The computer will boot off the USB drive. The computer will show Windows is loading. Windows loads into the "recovery" mode and I get an error, "Not find DVD Drive [\Util\Recovery\Recovery.ini]

What I'm gathering is that Rufus is creating a successful bootable USB and that windows tries to load but then it looks specifically for a DVD player and there is none attached.

Does anyone know a work around? I've been googling for a USB booting "DVD Emulator" that would in essence pull any ISO from inside itself or another USB drive and trick the computer into thinking it's a DVD player.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
-Claes

There can only be one!

Shawn

Re: Calling the nerds! USB ISO boot questions

#2 Post by Shawn »

First of all. What software are you using to burn DVD's?
I use Nero. I have a good success rate. What I found that needed to be done was manually slow down the burning speed.
For example, Nero will go balls to the walls on a 2.4x rated disk. Burns it at 8x or more. This creates very pretty coasters.
I manually slow it down to less than the disk speed rating and all goes well.

I am pretty sure the recovery iso on usb has been tried before. I can't recall if anyone found a solution or not.

Here is a solution.
Buy Acronis 2015. Make an Acronis image of all the common models as soon as they are restored via DVD.
The Acronis program and images will run from a usb without any problem.
Acronis is smart enough to detect SSD's and install the image properly. Where the original recovery disks are set up for spinner drives and you must tweak the settings on a SSD.
Bob's your uncle.. 8)
Life will beat you into submission.

Shawn

#3 Post by Shawn »

RDClaes

#4 Post by RDClaes »

I'm going to read up on those and see if I can piece it together, thanks!

I use BurnAware and ImageBurn. Both at the lowest burn speed possible. (3x). I only get errors when they try to verify. I have tried using the disk as well but it just spins without being recognized as a bootable option.
-Claes

There can only be one!

Shawn

#5 Post by Shawn »

Is this a CF19 with an external DVD?

RDClaes

#6 Post by RDClaes »

CF-C1 with a Samsung SE-218

Is there a better external I should be using? I've always had issues with dual layer...

I'm using Memorex DVD+R Dual layer
-Claes

There can only be one!

Shawn

#7 Post by Shawn »

Get an official Panasonic DVD. I think Toshiba is the same with a different badge.
Off brands will have difficulty in booting. The Panny BIOS is picky.

CF-VDRRT3

Toshiba PA3438U-2CD2

toughasnails
Toughbooktalk Moderator

#8 Post by toughasnails »

Shawns right, forget the thumb drive. I have tried many different external cd/dvd drives and the only one that works with no errors is the Panasonic one.
:spinny: Blair :spinny:
CF-51 MK3LL Core 2 Duo T7600 Mod , W7, 4GB Ram, 160GB 7200RPM HDD, Finger Print Reader
CF-52MK1 Core2Duo 2GHz, Intel SSD X25 Series ,4GB , BT with dock
CF-52 MK4 i5‑2540M 2.60GHz, ATI Discrete Graphics, Intel 120GB SSD, 16GB,W7 Pro 64bit
CF-53MK1 i5/2520, Kingston Hyper X SSD 240GB, 16GB memory, W7 Pro 64bit with dock
CF-54 MK2 Samsung SSD512GB, 16GB memory
And the little guys CF-M34 MK3 and MK7
Infologix / MediSlate 10.4" tablet
Cel Samsung Note 8
Member of:
http://thessdreview.com/
http://www.toughbooktalk.com

Shawn

#9 Post by Shawn »

toughasnails wrote:Shawns right,...
You have posted that twice in two days.
:pbjt: :pbjt: :pbjt: :pbjt: :pbjt: :pbjt: :pbjt: :pbjt: :pbjt: :pbjt: :pbjt: :pbjt: :pbjt:

:blob: :blob: :blob: :blob: :blob: :blob: :blob: :blob: :blob: :blob: :blob: :blob: :blob:

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

:pbjt: :pbjt: :pbjt: :pbjt: :pbjt: :pbjt: :pbjt: :pbjt: :pbjt: :pbjt: :pbjt: :pbjt: :pbjt:

SHEEPMAN!

#10 Post by SHEEPMAN! »

The only "OFF" brand I was ever successful with was a "Dull" slot load. I use it if nothing else works mainly on Linux.

It might be interesting to unpack an iso and look at the code. (Like .bat file maybe) Like I say, interesting.

There may be a "don't check" flag for drives. Not sure how to use it when installing factory DVD in bare hard drive.

Meanwhile build a library of successful images when they work. As Mr. Right stated above. (Acronis):D
Fair for you/ Fair for me.
I chose to NOT be organized.

-------------------------------------------------------------------[/color]
http://toughbooktalk.com/
http://forum.notebookreview.com/panasonic/

Return to “General Toughbook Talk”