Looking for screen protector replacement tips and tricks

Post all general Toughbook related things here.
nmbushek

Looking for screen protector replacement tips and tricks

#1 Post by nmbushek »

Toughbook Gurus,

I will be replacing the screen protector on my CF-31 shortly. The replacement screen protector will be a genuine Pany CF-VPF15U. I have heard from several people, in the past, that it is hard to get these just right. It was also suggested that the best way to attempt the replacement is to do it in a room with a lot of steam, such as a bathroom. If so, what is the benefit of the steam when replacing

Does anyone have any words of wisdom or tips & tricks they would be willing to share on the best way to do this since it will be my first time.

I pretty sure there have been several of you gurus that have successfully replaced or attempted to replace a genuine screen protector and looking for some insight.

Thanks in advance.

Nick
-31Mk3, 16gb RAM, Samsung 850 Pro 512gb, W10-64 Pro, Emissive backlit KB

-54Mk2, 16gb RAM, Samsung 870 EVO 1TB, W10-64 Pro, Emissive backlit KB

Toughbook

Re: Looking for screen protector replacement tips and tricks

#2 Post by Toughbook »

Nick,

Have you attempted this already? Here is what I do and it works out perfectly.

I always keep a "Toughbook Cleaner" made up as follows;

85% - water
15% - 90% Isopropyl Alcohol
A few drops of your favorite liquid soap

CAREFULLY use a toothpick to lift the edge of your old screen protector and peel away steadily and diagonally... I usually do it from top right toward the bottom left. I use the cleaner on a paper towel to clean the corner edges of the screen. Have some compressed air handy to blow away lint.

A steamy bathroom helps just to keep the dust at bay but if you are in a fairly clean area... Just do it.

I then lightly mist the screen with my special cleaner and then lightly mist the back of the protector after peeling away the backing. Place the new screen protector on the screen and squeegee out the water toward the edges. Have a paper towel handy to sop up the excess water as it squeezes out. Don't press the squeegee too hard... Just enough to get out the water and any bubbles that may be there.

If you find lint is trapped... Peel it back off and drench with the cleaner in order to flush off the lint.

This is the best way I have found that leaves it bubble and lint free.

Good luck!
Rugged Toughbooks of all types... CF-31s, CF-30s, CF-29s, CF-19s, CF-52s, CF-53s, CF-74s, CF-H2... Hmmm... What else can I buy, build or modify?

nmbushek

Re: Looking for screen protector replacement tips and tricks

#3 Post by nmbushek »

Toughbook

No sir, I haven't attempted the replacement yet. I was waiting to see if anyone had some tips since the genuine Pany replacement protector wasn't exactly cheap and for the most part you only get one shot to get it right.

Thank you very much for the tips, they are very much appreciated. Thanks to your info, I now have a clear direction to accomplish this task.

Thanks again and have a great Thanksgiving.

Nick
-31Mk3, 16gb RAM, Samsung 850 Pro 512gb, W10-64 Pro, Emissive backlit KB

-54Mk2, 16gb RAM, Samsung 870 EVO 1TB, W10-64 Pro, Emissive backlit KB

Return to “General Toughbook Talk”