Rubber backlit keyboard

Post all general Toughbook related things here.
kode-niner

Rubber backlit keyboard

#1 Post by kode-niner »

How bad is typing with the rubber keyboards on the CF-19 or 30? Lately I've had some bad experiences outdoors with the CF-30 backlit keyboard in rain and high-humidity. I might just need to snag one somewhere to try it out.
Daily drives a CF-31

Rob
Toughbooktalk Founder

Re: Rubber backlit keyboard

#2 Post by Rob »

HA! Let's see what happens with this thread....

T-E-R-R-I-B-L-E....

A baby autistic seal could type faster on a normal keyboard than you could on a rubber one....
~Rob - Vice President - Rugged Depot~
~Cell: (630)/300-8877~
~Owner - Toughbooktalk~
~Fully rugged Toughbook user since April 18th 2005~
~FZ-40ACAAHKM - Primary Toughbook / Workstation as of 7/29/22
~Win10 Pro (Win11 DG), Intel Core i5-1145G7 (up to 4.4GHz), vPro, 14.0" FHD Gloved Multi Touch, 16GB, 1TB Samsung SSD, Intel Wi-Fi 6, Bluetooth, 4G EM7690, GPS, Quad Pass (BIOS Selectable), Mic and Infrared 5MP Webcam, Standard Battery, TPM 2.0, Emissive Backlit Keyboard, Dual Batteries, USB A + HDMI + Serial X-PAK, Shoulder Strap, Flat~
~AT&T Business 1GB Fiber 1GB/1GB business static line~
~Gamber & Johnson Platinum Partner~

http://www.toughbooktalk.com
http://downloads.toughbooktalk.com/
http://www.rugged575.com - 300' UHF GMRS Radio Repeater
http://www.crete600.com - 310' UHF Linked GMRS Radio Repeater

~Emergency preparedness starts with reliable communication systems above all. Pretend the internet and cell phones didn’t exist, how will you communicate? If you’re interested in learning more, ask me!~

mklym

#3 Post by mklym »

Hey! Kode might be a great typist....be nice. :D Lol.

I use rubber kb's on most all my TB's, currently on my 30 and 19 and will be on the 31 once it finishes desktop duty...3-4 days. Yes, they are not as nice to type on as a non-rubber kb, but put a membrane over any kb and it will be not as nice to type on as it was previous. I think most of the bad rep rubber kb's get if from people buying used TB's with rubber kb's that are worn out. The rubber kb I had on this CF-30 was past worn out, needed a 1/2" dia. punch and a 2 lb ball peen hammer to get most keys to work, but I changed it out for a new rubber kb and the difference is like night and day.
Yes, it takes a bit more pressure, but nothing like people would have you believe.
Buy a new rubber kb and you will be happy.
CF-29LTQ,CF-31SBM,CF-52youngGUN,

Life's Journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways totally worn-out shouting 'Woo Hoo! What a ride!

Motorsports - the only real sport. If it doesn't have a motor, it is just a game.

There is always something waiting at the end of the road, if you are not willing to see what it is, you probably shouldn't be out there in the first place.

SHEEPMAN!

#4 Post by SHEEPMAN! »

People with carpal tunnel don't like rubber keyboards......ask me how I know......if your hands are in good shape try one.
Fair for you/ Fair for me.
I chose to NOT be organized.

-------------------------------------------------------------------[/color]
http://toughbooktalk.com/
http://forum.notebookreview.com/panasonic/

kode-niner

#5 Post by kode-niner »

Hahaha! I do touch-type a good amount of words-per-minute but lately I have serious doubts about the "splash resistance" of the normal keyboard. I was in a very steamy room and it became unusable. It also went bad during a rain storm and had to stop working until it dried out in both cases. If I do plunk down some dough for a new keyboard, I need to know that it isn't useless.
Daily drives a CF-31

mklym

#6 Post by mklym »

You can get new ones on ebay cheaper than from Panasonic. I may not be a multi-word-per-minute typist, but I do know the difference between a good and bad kb. Yes, you will have to put more effort into typing on a rubber kb than an emissive kb, but the bottom line is that the rubber kb will work in all environments. If you can't deal with the extra effort then try a standard, non-emissive kb. A member of NBR has said that the standard kb's handle the wet better than the emissive.

I will look and see if I can locate a new-ish rubber kb for a CF-19 in my parts. If I can locate it, I will send it to you to check out and if you can work with it, we can work something out about replacement/trade.

Life's Journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways totally worn-out shouting 'Woo Hoo! What a ride!

Motorsports - the only real sport. If it doesn't have a motor, it is just a game.

There is always something waiting at the end of the road, if you are not willing to see what it is, you probably shouldn't be out there in the first place.

mklym

#7 Post by mklym »

It seems that I don't have any more CF-19 kb's of any kind. I looked in the box I thought all the kb were in but all that is there are 29/30/31 rubber kb's. If you want to try a rubber kb on your 30, I can help, but not for your 19, unless the rubber kb's for them are in another box. I have to repack a couple so I will see, but I was sure all the KB's I have were in the same box. I am finally moving and some stuff has been packed for months.
If you want to try a rubber kb with your 30, send me a PM with a mailing address and I will get it out tomorrow.

kode-niner

#8 Post by kode-niner »

Much obliged.
Daily drives a CF-31

mklym

#9 Post by mklym »

No worries. Hope you like the kb and dock.

kode-niner

#10 Post by kode-niner »

Dock? Swell!

Here's one instance when the emissive keyboard failed me. In April I helped my buddy make some maple syrup. It's not a big commercial outfit but it's still a LOT of hard work. Here's where we boil the sap:
Attachments
IMG00199b.jpg
IMG00199b.jpg (53.52 KiB) Viewed 9933 times
Last edited by kode-niner on Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daily drives a CF-31

Return to “General Toughbook Talk”