Visiting ADOR,

Post all general Toughbook related things here.
glitch

Visiting ADOR,

#1 Post by glitch »

I bought some things from ADOR and vice versa. I found out he lives close to my in laws. So on a flying trip to see the in laws I got to stop by and meet ADOR in person and trade stuff. I wish we had more time, but like I said flying trip.

Now there is a terrible problem with meeting a fellow collector. Meeting online is one thing, trading stuff by mail is another, but in person, you just never know. Then you find out the worst part, you have way to much in common, aside from Toughbooks that is.

Now I just started collecting last year, so I had a few Toughbooks. ADOR on the other hand, has a problem, and stacks of parts to prove it. I mean if you need to find a obscure thing-a-ma-jig that connects to the whos-a-digit, ask ADOR, he might just have it. So he stacked me up with the computers and parts to expand my collection.

Now he has traded me some neat stuff, and I just haven't found the same level of neat / rare computer or parts, but I wanted to throw something in that he might not have. I felt he needed a new distraction, when he saw it he kinda chuckled and told me he had thought about one, but did not need a new hobby. It was the new Raspberry Pi 2. If you don't know what one is you should check them out. Anyway ADOR, your welcome. LOL!

By the way, ADOR if your reading this, I had an idea with the Raspberry Pi, it might be sacrilegious but, you think we could fit it in the extra 27 case I have? the screen is intact, I haven't figured out how to attach the output from the Pi to the screen yet, but I have always wanted to make my own laptop. There should be some way to take the output from the board and drive the screen. The keyboard could attach using a usb input/driver. The Raspberry Pi is a complete system without display or keyboard or mouse, a dead Toughbook has those parts. I would have to name the resulting computer Frankenstien, but I digress.

Uh, I hope I dont get lynched...
glitch

CF-19 Mk-1 / CF-M34 / CF-27 / CF-28 / CF-29 Mk-1 / CF-H1 Field/Health

“The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Think only on those things that are in line with your principles and can bear the light of day. The content of your character is your choice. Day by day, what you do is who you become. Your integrity is your destiny - it is the light that guides your way.” Heraclitus ~5 bc

ADOR

Re: Visiting ADOR,

#2 Post by ADOR »

It was good visiting with you too. Glad I found someone who could use those older toughbooks. And I was surprised we shared a lot of the same interests. I don't think you would get linched experimenting with a 27 as there are lots of them out there.

The PI 2 in a toughbooks would open a lot of stuff up for a modular toy.
Those of you not in the know the PI 2 has a ARM 900 mhz quad core and 1 gb of ram, runs off of usb power and is modular to the point you can stack stuff onto it. This means if you want WWAN or cell phone added (yes you can make it just a hand held bulky touch screen phone if you want, some one has already done it) Add GPS, fanless heatsink for more cooling. The device is about the size of a credit card but is thick. In a fully rugged case like the 27 the thickness would work.

Glitch, I haven't taken a 27 apart yet, but I have a 28. If they are close you have to split the case, not just take the bottom off like on the 29 case or the 30 case. If you do, do a project like that a newer case may work better. It would just be time to do a LED light mod to the screen and find the pinouts on the keyboard and what screen you use.
CF-28 MK2,Mk3 / CF-29 Mk3 / CF-30 MK2 / CF-25 Mk1 ATI / CF-19 MK3/Mk3/Mk5 / CF-U1 Mk1,Mk2 / CF-M34 Mk7/Mk3 / CF-17 Mk1 / CF-07
Voodoo Envy M355 / M360 / M515 / M780 / U703 / Voodoo Hexx / Voodoo Idol / Voodoo Rage F1 / Voodoo Rage F1 / Voodoo Rage F1 "signed case" / Voodoo Omen
Alienware M11x R1, Alienware 17 R5

glitch

#3 Post by glitch »

The Raspberry Pi connector S2 is a display serial interface and I found the pinout. I disassembled a 27 and the lcd is a nice unit, but it is closely tied to the touch screen I think. So I need to find the schematics for the lcd / touch screen. This could be fun or disaster.

Here is the pin out on the raspberry pi 2.

Socket S2 Pin Function
1 Ground
2 Data Lane 1 N
3 Data Lane 1 P
4 Ground
5 Clock N
6 Clock P
7 Ground
8 Data Lane 0 N
9 Data Lane 0 P
10 Ground
11 PJV
12 PJV
13 Ground
14 +3.3 V
15 +3.3 V
glitch

CF-19 Mk-1 / CF-M34 / CF-27 / CF-28 / CF-29 Mk-1 / CF-H1 Field/Health

“The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Think only on those things that are in line with your principles and can bear the light of day. The content of your character is your choice. Day by day, what you do is who you become. Your integrity is your destiny - it is the light that guides your way.” Heraclitus ~5 bc

ADOR

#4 Post by ADOR »

Here is a site to add to your collection.

http://www.tim.id.au/blog/tims-laptop-service-manuals/

I see they have a transnote one as well, missed that one before.

I think I have a 27 Mk2 manual, let me see if I can find it and email it to you.
CF-28 MK2,Mk3 / CF-29 Mk3 / CF-30 MK2 / CF-25 Mk1 ATI / CF-19 MK3/Mk3/Mk5 / CF-U1 Mk1,Mk2 / CF-M34 Mk7/Mk3 / CF-17 Mk1 / CF-07
Voodoo Envy M355 / M360 / M515 / M780 / U703 / Voodoo Hexx / Voodoo Idol / Voodoo Rage F1 / Voodoo Rage F1 / Voodoo Rage F1 "signed case" / Voodoo Omen
Alienware M11x R1, Alienware 17 R5

Return to “General Toughbook Talk”