virtual keyboards ... of the laser variety

Post all general Toughbook related things here.
CWB

virtual keyboards ... of the laser variety

#1 Post by CWB »

hey all ,
i was looking for a couple of items over at sleazebay and a "relative advertisement" about laser keyboards was displayed :
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R4 ... rd&_sop=15
has anyone had any dealings with these items ?

i am tempted to get one of the cheapo chinese units (shipped via sea turtle) just for grins and giggles .

the next question is :
when will they start building these things into laptops and tablets ?

ps ... my original search at cheesebay was for a 1KW CO2 laser and some parts (friend's cnc machine) .
i have no idea how the connection to keyboards was made other than i do look for comp parts there .

ADOR

Re: virtual keyboards ... of the laser variety

#2 Post by ADOR »

They had a phone sized computer at one time with a small stand that had a projector built in for a screen and a laser keyboard

There were two different styles this one, and one that put the image on a wall of the screen. I would think for travel this one would be more practical.

They are keeping on with Ubuntu for Android, and Android phones have 8 cores out now, so there is no telling what we will be playing with in 5 years.

Also have you seen the flexible screen Samsung has?
Last edited by ADOR on Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
CF-28 MK2,Mk3 / CF-29 Mk3 / CF-30 MK2 / CF-25 Mk1 ATI / CF-19 MK3/Mk3/Mk5 / CF-U1 Mk1,Mk2 / CF-M34 Mk7/Mk3 / CF-17 Mk1 / CF-07
Voodoo Envy M355 / M360 / M515 / M780 / U703 / Voodoo Hexx / Voodoo Idol / Voodoo Rage F1 / Voodoo Rage F1 / Voodoo Rage F1 "signed case" / Voodoo Omen
Alienware M11x R1, Alienware 17 R5

CWB

#3 Post by CWB »

i ordered up the 15 buck special ... i aint holding my breath .
i looked on aliexpress ... the cheapest was 28 bucks .

i noticed some cheapo tablets at aliexpress .
while many of these things com with 'roid or ubuntu , i would like to be able to load linux mint 13 (or higher) on one .

i'll check out the flexible keyboard .

ADOR

#4 Post by ADOR »

Are you talking about the rubber ones you can roll up? If so I have a usb one. It works but doesn't feel right typing on it. I got it for a portable desktop project and use it on my servers.

That is a bluetooth version, mine is usb cable type but looks the same.
CF-28 MK2,Mk3 / CF-29 Mk3 / CF-30 MK2 / CF-25 Mk1 ATI / CF-19 MK3/Mk3/Mk5 / CF-U1 Mk1,Mk2 / CF-M34 Mk7/Mk3 / CF-17 Mk1 / CF-07
Voodoo Envy M355 / M360 / M515 / M780 / U703 / Voodoo Hexx / Voodoo Idol / Voodoo Rage F1 / Voodoo Rage F1 / Voodoo Rage F1 "signed case" / Voodoo Omen

CWB

#5 Post by CWB »

i have seen keyboards that are hinged in the middle .
i am not too keen on them .

the elastomeric type seem to fill the bill better .
for field work , being a somewhat "sealed unit" is an asset .
i believe that bluetooth is the way to go ... no usb cable to get in the road and/or snagged .

kode-niner

#6 Post by kode-niner »

I've also been using flexy rubber keyboards. They work well in a pinch but not for extended use or fast typing. I got the idea for getting one from watching one of the latest Die Hard movies and I was looking for something to slip in a briefcase.
Daily drives a CF-31

ADOR

#7 Post by ADOR »

At first I was going to get a folding keyboard but don't have any experience with them.

CWB

#8 Post by CWB »

those folding keyboards seem like the difference between stuffing a rolled up pair of socks versus a large rectangular bottle of aftershave in a small suitcase .
speaking of large rectangular bottles of aftershave ...
i have a bottle of "jovan musk" that is about 30 years old ... woooo-wheee ... it is potent !
(i'll bet there are a couple of guys here that remember the stuff)

i received two messages from the ebay seller of that 15 buck VKB ... seems that there was a mistake on pricing .
they said something about "great losses" and "out of business" .
i was asked to "increase money" or "cancel order" .

now , some of you here would think i would say "tough ti**y" and hold their feet to the fire (rigorous honesty and being responsible ...) .
however , in a momentary lapse of reasoning , i canceled the order .
i certainly realize that mistakes happen .
:doh:

sooo ... i am looking for another VKB .
it would be great if they included a virtual mouse pad with/in/on the keyboard .

ps ... i am a slow typist too ... good thing my friends are slow readers .

Return to “General Toughbook Talk”