Changing o/s from XP to Windows 7, 8 or 8.1

Post all general Toughbook related things here.
BARBARIAN

Re: Changing o/s from XP to Windows 7, 8 or 8.1

#21 Post by BARBARIAN »

After the discussions I had with you all in January, I bought a new, legal copy of Windows 7 with the product keys. a Hitachi 320 GB 7200 RPM 8 MB 2.5" SATA HDD and external 2.5" drive case (all off EBay). I installed the new HDD in the external case and did a format on it. I then removed the HDD from my CF-52G, installed the new HDD in the the caddy and my old Fujitsu 160 GB in the external case. Installed Windows 7 without any significant problems - other than trying to understand the new format of Win 7's desktop. Downloaded fresh copies of Firefox and Thunderbird. Went to the "Device Manager" and upgraded all the device drivers with " ? " and all were upgraded except one unidentified device that doesn't seem to affect anything. Plugged the old HDD in to a USB port and transferred everything I needed - I had already downloaded the latest upgrades from all my "stuff" such as HP, Garmin, Logitech, Norton Internet Security, Irfan View and all my other programs without any difficulties. The upgrade to Win 7 eliminated all the problems I had been having with map upgrades from my Garmin account. I also stumbled across (thanks to my brother) the best back up software I have found - downright stupid simple to use - for old Windows systems. It is Norton's "Ghost", available on EBay, and compatible with XP, Vista and Win 7. So my switch to Win 7 has been cool. I recommend the book "Windows 7 Annoyances" by David Karp for solving problems with finding all the hidden files and folders that Microsoft has decided we are too ignorant to be able to see in Win 7.

So, thanks to all for helping me get to a "happier" place with my Toughbook.
Gustav

Shawn

#22 Post by Shawn »

groovy.....
Life will beat you into submission.

ADOR

#23 Post by ADOR »

Now that you have 7 going for you. Have you gone to the control pannel and to "programs and features" then go to the left side and Turn windows features on or off? there you can tweak windows some more.

I also recommend this.

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/ultimate- ... ws-7-vista

One more trick, if you have the problem while the screen flashes from time to time while swapping screens or just doing stuff on your web browser I can show you what to disable, but you will loose aero if you do.
CF-28 MK2,Mk3 / CF-29 Mk3 / CF-30 MK2 / CF-25 Mk1 ATI / CF-19 MK3/Mk3/Mk5 / CF-U1 Mk1,Mk2 / CF-M34 Mk7/Mk3 / CF-17 Mk1 / CF-07
Voodoo Envy M355 / M360 / M515 / M780 / U703 / Voodoo Hexx / Voodoo Idol / Voodoo Rage F1 / Voodoo Rage F1 / Voodoo Rage F1 "signed case" / Voodoo Omen
Alienware M11x R1, Alienware 17 R5

Return to “General Toughbook Talk”