What do you guys use your Toughbooks for?

Post all general Toughbook related things here.
kode-niner

Re: What do you guys use your Toughbooks for?

#11 Post by kode-niner »

ADOR wrote:
kode-niner wrote:
Seriously, though. I used the CF-29 and now the CF-30 for controlling small UAVs.
I have seriously considered getting a small drone like the parrot drone and using one of my 30/19's with it. What type are you using? Helicopter type or aircraft type? What software are you using? We had a electrician on the rig that was very deep into the DIYDRONES site and had a plane he could fly from the rig in Saudi while it was in Arkansas. So I have checked back and read up on the latest there every now and then.
Quad copters. We've tried a Coptercontrol platform for a while with some success then we lost the unit last year. We decided to go simpler with the DJI Phantom II setup this year. We have it with a Zenmuse gimbal with Gopro setup but are slowly investing in a Vision +, video downlink and ground station hookup.
Daily drives a CF-31

CWB

#12 Post by CWB »

my friend and myself use our CF-30s as wheel chocks on a cessna 310 .

Toughbook

#13 Post by Toughbook »

I bring my CF-31 with me everywhere. I use it daily for presentations, checking email on the road, doing reports, etc.

My dealers are always impressed when I whip it out. I tell them I have the launch codes and they always look at me funny! LOL

I sometimes need to use it outside. It is funny when it might be raining a little or snowing and I pop the Toughbook on the glass roof of my car and start using it... Someone always tells me I shouldn't open it outside and to bring it inside. I laugh and keep going. The display works great even in the brightest sunlight and I usually only have the brightness turned up halfway. The glass sunroof has a few scratches where I have pulled it off at an angle or put it down on an angle.

The new thing I use it for is to keep track of the SD cards I pull from my game cameras on my new property. I have 12+ acres and have cameras posted where people and animals are likely to go. So far... A ton of deer, turkey, possums, raccoons and I think 1 coyote. (Looked like it but it might have been a dog... Haven't seen it since.) I also caught hunters passing through which immediately had me posting signs.

I shoot a lot out there... The last time was last weekend. I left 2 of my best targets up in place on a dead tree for people to see. Hopefully this will be a deterrent. lol
Rugged Toughbooks of all types... CF-31s, CF-30s, CF-29s, CF-19s, CF-52s, CF-53s, CF-74s, CF-H2... Hmmm... What else can I buy, build or modify?

Shawn

#14 Post by Shawn »

You left the hunters tied to a tree after shooting practice?
Life will beat you into submission.

zedulon

#15 Post by zedulon »

Let me jump in here...
Shawn wrote:You left the hunters tied to a tree after shooting practice?
:lauging:

No you use Acers and Gateways on the hunters, instead of cement overshoes. Sure does save on cement!

:salute:
God, Grant me the serenity to accept the things I can not change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.
--

Toughbook

#16 Post by Toughbook »

zedulon wrote:Let me jump in here...
Shawn wrote:You left the hunters tied to a tree after shooting practice?
:lauging:

No you use Acers and Gateways on the hunters, instead of cement overshoes. Sure does save on cement!

Nope... You use older Toughbooks!

When I say that Acers and Gateways are good for nothing... I mean that. ;)
Rugged Toughbooks of all types... CF-31s, CF-30s, CF-29s, CF-19s, CF-52s, CF-53s, CF-74s, CF-H2... Hmmm... What else can I buy, build or modify?

zedulon

#17 Post by zedulon »

Toughbook wrote: Nope... You use older Toughbooks!

When I say that Acers and Gateways are good for nothing... I mean that. ;)
Define "older", please

God, Grant me the serenity to accept the things I can not change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.
--

natescott90

#18 Post by natescott90 »

My CF-30 accompanies me to college every day and does everything I ask of it and more. Gotta say all the other students in my classes give me admiring looks, probably because they haven't seen a real man's laptop before!
:newbie:

FZ-G1ASK4CCM-W10 Pro 64bit, 256GBSSD, 8GB RAM, GPS, Sierra Wireless MC7700. New addition to my collection, using it for navigation and vehicle diagnostics.

CF-29NTQGZBM-PM 1.6, 1.5GB, 80GB IDE, WXP Pro-Running legacy stuff, rescued from a local pawn shop.

CF-19KHRAX2M-Modified with a Gobi 2000 module for vague GPS and basic WWAN.

Shawn

#19 Post by Shawn »

The main use for my Toughbook"s" is to surf the net to BUY more Toughbooks and parts for Toughbooks.
It's a perpetual motion machine...

Hello, My name is Shawn and I am an addict..
Life will beat you into submission.

natescott90

#20 Post by natescott90 »

Shawn wrote:The main use for my Toughbook"s" is to surf the net to BUY more Toughbooks and parts for Toughbooks.
It's a perpetual motion machine...

Hello, My name is Shawn and I am an addict..
True story lol :D
:newbie:

FZ-G1ASK4CCM-W10 Pro 64bit, 256GBSSD, 8GB RAM, GPS, Sierra Wireless MC7700. New addition to my collection, using it for navigation and vehicle diagnostics.

CF-29NTQGZBM-PM 1.6, 1.5GB, 80GB IDE, WXP Pro-Running legacy stuff, rescued from a local pawn shop.

CF-19KHRAX2M-Modified with a Gobi 2000 module for vague GPS and basic WWAN.

Return to “General Toughbook Talk”