The Ultimate Business Rugged: Toughbook vs Toughpad

Post all general Toughbook related things here.
Reckless

The Ultimate Business Rugged: Toughbook vs Toughpad

#1 Post by Reckless »

I currently use a i5 cf-ax2 as my business rugged laptop. For first year I had it was an expensive paper weight, it only had 128 gb hard drive that I bought as an ipad replacement for $1600. Once I learned that I could replace the hd I went and bought a Samsung Evo 1 tb performance ssd drive and the machine became lightning fast, something to rival my dads i7 nx2.

Recently, like most nerds I fell in love with the toughpad 4k but couldn't justify spending $6k to own one. I managed first to get one for my dad and later one for me at $2500 lightly used so I went for them. We got the standard models which are a tad lighter but missing back camera and i7 chip.

Yesterday, I got around to ripping out the 128gb hd out of the toughpad and replacing it with 1tb evo hd. The machine is slightly faster (it already was very fast). Both my toughbook and my toughpad have the same processor but toughpad has extra 4gb ram.
Now I am so in love with the screen on my toughpad that it feels like a drag to use my ax2 for past week. I accidentally didn't unpack my ax2 out of my luggage from labor day weekend trip. The toughpad has a number of nuances but somehow I overlook them. At first I thought it was because of the exclusive nature of the product. But now I am becoming a believer in touch computing, although I still type a lot faster on my toughbook. Having a huge tablet allows for a keyboard thats usable while using the screen.

This is what is amazing me, it almost seems that toughpads will replace toughbooks for me (not saying for everyone or most people). I never expected this, my initial thought when buying it was that I'm buying an expensive toy and since most apple devices tend to be more entertainment devices as opposed to business devices I thought I am better off going with a panasonic.
Toughbook Collection:
RZ4, NX2, NX, AX2, B11, B10, N10, N8, W4, T5, T4, T2, T1, Y4, S4, R1, R9
(Direct from the Land of the Rising Sun)

ToughPad Collection:
MB5 4k, MB5 4k Prototype

Touch Monitors & Displays:
Pixelsense: Microsoft Surface 2.0 Tables
Sharp Interactive Aquos Board 70"

safn1949

Re: The Ultimate Business Rugged: Toughbook vs Toughpad

#2 Post by safn1949 »

My tablet of choice is a 10" Toshiba,I sell Toughbooks but rarely use them.I have a NCS i7 that I'm on right now but it's only used rarely. We have 4 tablets now counting the company one and I find we use them a lot more.
2 CF-30Mk3's, 2 CF-71's, CF-L1, 3 CF-72's, CF-73, CF-74, CF-48, CF-50, CF-51Mk3, 2 CF-19's,7 CF-52's, FZ-A1 and other assorted beaters.

Reckless

#3 Post by Reckless »

Somehow technology moves faster than me. It takes me years to catch up. When I do I am usually amazed. After trying for years to find a device to do phone/mp3/email I gave up and then Iphones came out and it took me years to become a believer again.

Anyway, I am a Panasonic man and have yet to find a manufacturer that is able to make products remotely similar to them. My panasonics from 2000 still work, if i replace the hard drive they never die.
Toughbook Collection:

ToughPad Collection:
MB5 4k, MB5 4k Prototype

RDClaes

#4 Post by RDClaes »

I previously owned a CF-31 fully decked out with an i7, dedicated graphics card, and 12 GB's of RAM.

I recently sold it and replaced it with a G1. The G1 is easily the best computer I have ever owned in my life! I see the other models definitely going away with the Toughpads.

One of the biggest reasons is not only the quality of the tablets, the obvious evolution in technology moving towards tablets over traditional style computers, but the support for tablet accessories on this G1.

They have wonderful desktop docks, vehicle docks, perfect high quality / durable keyboards. These are incredible!

I have a desktop hooked up to 3 additional monitors. I just drop my tablet into the dock and use it like a high powered desktop PC with 4 total monitors, Laserjet Multifunction printer, ethernet internet, speakers, and ergonomic keyboard / mouse.

When I'm done working I'll grab it and sit on my couch to browse facebook or putz around the internet. The touch is very responsive and accurate.

If I wanted to drive around I could mount it in my truck but I mounted an iPad that doesn't leave for that.

When I want to watch TV I plug it into my 2nd desktop dock I have setup for my projector. It plugs in, has speakers, it's own wireless keyboard with volume control hooked up, and of course, the HDMI 1080p projector. When I'm done I can just push the sleep button on my keyboard and walk away.

When I wake up and it's time to work I grab it, drop it in my office desktop dock and presto 4 monitors ready to work!

Love it!

Oh and for mobility!!! This company, iKey, makes a wonderful keyboard that fits perfectly and plugs into the port replication dock mechanism. It's a back lit IP65 MIL-STD-810G keyboard made of aircraft aluminum. Just clicks in and you have a full size clamshell style laptop. Love it!

iKey video of the keyboard.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Vc2lLN0sr0
-Claes

There can only be one!

Reckless

#5 Post by Reckless »

Interesting computing experience you describe. I wish the ut-mb5 had accessories like the G1.

My AX2 convertible laptop which I used to love dearly hasn't gotten much use since I got my 4k. I still find it hard to use my tablet for everything, certain serious tasks (photoshop, excel, even extended typing I prefer my workstation). I started watching tv shows again on my tablet. I may look for a video card and monitor that can display 4k resolution for my workstation as the screen is so gorgeous, crisp, and bright.

Personally 11" tablet is easy to carry but too small to type/watch or even work on for me. 20" is big, hard to chest when in bed, a bit heavy at 5 pounds, looks a bit ridiculous but after using it I don't think I can go back down. I do hate the attention I get. People confuse me for an apple representative. Some ask if I'm carrying a tv. It is hard to carry everywhere.
Toughbook Collection:

ToughPad Collection:
MB5 4k, MB5 4k Prototype

Return to “General Toughbook Talk”