GPS mapping and weather programs

Post all general Toughbook related things here.
mklym

GPS mapping and weather programs

#1 Post by mklym »

Just wondering what GPS mapping/nav software other members use on their TBs. I am talking more for off-road use. I know there are lots of street and highway nav programs, but I am looking for something I can load digitized Topo maps into. At this point, I am looking at OziExplorer. Anyone have experience with that? Any other suggestions?

What about weather programs? What is available, if anything? I am talking about real time weather, not forecasts.

Any thoughts or opinions are welcome. Thanks.
CF-29LTQ,CF-31SBM,CF-52youngGUN,

Life's Journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways totally worn-out shouting 'Woo Hoo! What a ride!

Motorsports - the only real sport. If it doesn't have a motor, it is just a game.

There is always something waiting at the end of the road, if you are not willing to see what it is, you probably shouldn't be out there in the first place.

MasterBlaster2039

Re: GPS mapping and weather programs

#2 Post by MasterBlaster2039 »

I use Navigator 12 (free version), for offline route directions on my CF-M34 mk2 (400Mhz).

mklym

#3 Post by mklym »

Navigator 12 from mapFactor? I'll check it out. Thanks.

Edit: Checked it out and it is road based. Not what I am looking for. Thanks for the input though.
CF-29LTQ,CF-31SBM,CF-52youngGUN,

Life's Journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways totally worn-out shouting 'Woo Hoo! What a ride!

Motorsports - the only real sport. If it doesn't have a motor, it is just a game.

There is always something waiting at the end of the road, if you are not willing to see what it is, you probably shouldn't be out there in the first place.

interestingfellow

#4 Post by interestingfellow »

google maps/earth and goops, afaik

Spartan0311MP

#5 Post by Spartan0311MP »

I use NatGeo Topo! and Delorme Street Atlas in Windoze, and for Linux I use several tools: Foxtrot GPS (nice selection of maps that you can download for offline viewing), QLandkarteGT, GpsDrive and Viking. Under Linux, I was able to get the NatGeo TOPO! working using wine, however, it is still giving me issues translating from COM port to dev/tty, but the maps are there.
Semper Fidelis,

Spartan

TECH SPECS:

CF-29ETPGBKM | Dual Boot Ubuntu 12.04 and Windows XP Pro SP3
  1. Intel Pentium M 1300 Mhz/1.30 Ghz
  2. 1.5 GB RAM
  3. Touchscreen, Backlit/Rubberized Keyboard, Internal GPS, WIFI, PCMCIA SCR 200

Spartan0311MP

#6 Post by Spartan0311MP »

Update: I am now able to use the GPS in TOPO! under linux - had to figure out the /dev/tty thing. Turns out in the Wine config, it's a network device. Who would have though!
Semper Fidelis,

Spartan

TECH SPECS:

2. 1.5 GB RAM

i58sr

#7 Post by i58sr »

mklym wrote:What about weather programs? What is available, if anything? I am talking about real time weather, not forecasts.
Any thoughts or opinions are welcome. Thanks.
Hi Spartan0311MP

I found this on a TV new web site. It has the most detailed weather info. Click ,drag, zoom. Its really cool. http://imapweather.com/fullscreen/?TEMP ... 76&LANG=en

Nick

Spartan0311MP

#8 Post by Spartan0311MP »

Wow that's nice! I've been using the full screen weather app for the Chrome browser, but this is much better - thanks for the share!
Semper Fidelis,

Spartan

TECH SPECS:

2. 1.5 GB RAM

Gear6

#9 Post by Gear6 »

wow, great info !
I tried gpsdrive before, and it kept invalidating the GPS location: it started with a builtin/hardcoded location, somewhere in the middle of europe, and after the gps got a fix, it said on the logs smth like 'speed over 5000km/h...'.
will test (again) as soon as I'll have the time.

thanks
C1mk1&2, CF19mk4, CF30mk1&mk3

Spartan0311MP

#10 Post by Spartan0311MP »

The biggest problem I have with the GPS under linux is the fix time. I'm trying to figure out gpsd and see if I can tweak it just a bit. Seems my GPS device won't do anything above 4800. I've heard that setting it to the 9800 or lower will correct those problems you are having.
Semper Fidelis,

Spartan

TECH SPECS:

2. 1.5 GB RAM

Return to “General Toughbook Talk”