Calling creative thinkers

Post all general Toughbook related things here.
orphanlr

Calling creative thinkers

#1 Post by orphanlr »

Oh the Madness…

Most of you know what I’m doing, why and where, so no need for me to explain my motivations, but, I’m getting closer to trying something that I’ve wanted to do for a while now.

My original plan was to use a bunch of cf-08 wireless displays in a classroom synced to a basic windows server, so kids could select from a series of self-directed activities, from movies to educational games or reading, and utilize the technology.

I looked at a HP server, found where I could get windows server software inexpensively, and over time, I bought seven CF-08 toughbook wireless displays.

Then a few weeks ago, I got ten Sony 30” flat monitors in surplus cheap from our airport, and started thinking about a different approach. I hooked up one of the monitors to a Toughbook and searching and web videos were much more fun.

So I started thinking about taking a room at the orphanage school, mounting eight of the monitors on the walls around the room, hooking up to eight cf-29 mounted to the wall next to them, add speakers or headphone jacks, then using eight of the PDRC keyboards I have plugged into the 29s with a mouse plugged into the keyboard, on a small kid sized pedestal on the floor a few feet in front of the monitor. It might be a cool learning or gaming center for the kids, with big monitors instead of the 10 inch displays on the cf-08s. I know I could use simple desktop computers as well, but at the moment, I have the 29s and not the desktops.

That would free up the CF-08s, so I thought maybe if synced to a server, the teachers could use them to access lesson plans, teaching tools, or file attendance and grade information.

IM LOOKING FOR ANY THOUGHTS OR IDEAS you may have on my plan. This forum has a lot of creative people and I’m sure you have some ideas I haven’t thought about.

Thanks in advance,

Return to “General Toughbook Talk”