Emissive Keyboard Key Replacement

Post all general Toughbook related things here.
ADOR

Emissive Keyboard Key Replacement

#1 Post by ADOR »

I took a chance on a lot of 5 keyboards off of ebay. In my lot of 5 one was rubber and 4 emissive. Two were good leaving two more that had missing keys. After thinking it over I decided I would try to swap out on the emissive style keyboard. Before working on this toughbook keyboard I had only swapped one key on the CF-28 style emissive keyboard. Those white clips on it was very hard to swap with out braking. On the emissive style keyboard the white hinges seem stronger and stood up to my multiple tries on swapping it out from one board to another.

When you pop off the key from the keyboard it is made up of 5 parts. Main part you see is the letter key. It has 4 clips on the bottom, two on each side of the key. You have two white hinges that have 6 points of attachment together. Two on each bottom connecting to the keyboard base, two in the middle allowing the parts to hinge together. There is a clear silicone spongy piece under the white hinges. That is the part that presses the circuit so the keyboard circuit knows it has been touched. There is one last piece to this puzzle. There is a clear plastic piece that slips under the top lip of your two white hinges. This piece serves two main purposes, one is to push the silicone part down, two it is the part that the key physically clips too. The only tools I used were two small flat tipped jewelers screwdrivers, my fingers and lots of patience.

Below you can follow along as I replace two keys.

The clear part the keys hold too wedged next to the emergency button for you to see. There is a long side and short side. Pay attention to how it goes during disassembly.

CF-28 MK2,Mk3 / CF-29 Mk3 / CF-30 MK2 / CF-25 Mk1 ATI / CF-19 MK3/Mk3/Mk5 / CF-U1 Mk1,Mk2 / CF-M34 Mk7/Mk3 / CF-17 Mk1 / CF-07
Voodoo Envy M355 / M360 / M515 / M780 / U703 / Voodoo Hexx / Voodoo Idol / Voodoo Rage F1 / Voodoo Rage F1 / Voodoo Rage F1 "signed case" / Voodoo Omen
Alienware M11x R1, Alienware 17 R5

Return to “General Toughbook Talk”